Influenza?

While eating lunch today, I came across a documentary on channel 553 on the spanish influenza that raged the world as a pandemic. What was unique about this virus, as documented, was the fact that it killed millions of healthy people before coming to a stop because everyone infected was either dead or immune.

All because of one virus, millions of people died.

Now for a little scientific tidbit =)

Influenza viruses are scary because they can mutate to form more virulent and deadly strains.
Human viruses are just that, but the most dangerous ones are avian and swine flu. As it is...you know, more avian and swine, our body's immune system just can't mount such a huge immune response against it that fast; which makes it dangerous.

Now...usually avian or swine flu doesn't 'jump' hosts. You know, they usually stick to either birds, or pigs. BUT, should the flu be able to 'jump' to humans, then....

Well...you've seen it. Both the H1N1 and the recent swine flu are causing pandemics. Well, the H1N1 CAUSED a pandemic. The ironic part was what the documentary mentioned. The documentary must have been created after the H1N1 outbreak, but before the recent swine flu outbreak. Because at that time, they were slowly revealing the spanish influenza virus's identity, they mentioned that scientists should quickly identify it to prevent another H1N1 outbreak.

Heh. Bet those people must be squirming in their pants now. It came true! The Spanish influenza virus showed that it was a pure swine flu virus.

And Asia was the perfect spot for a deadly pandemic to start. Only in Asia do you get both chickens and pigs living in close proximity. Especially the 'kampung' areas. The pig serves as a 'mixing' vessel. It has the capability to mix both avian and human flu viruses, causing a new strain. Imagine....an avian, swine and human flu. A cocktail of doom.

Ironic? =\

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Gah, that being said, it sounds kinda depressing for Mother Nature now.
What with the recent El NiƱo, haze, global warming, decreasing areas for dumping rubbish, lack of water and recession....

><

The future generation always suffer huh? I demand the time when I could still go out and play without fear of skin cancer, I wanna go out and play without having to be so paranoid and cautious all the time, I wanna go back to the time when I could just switch on the fan and speed 1 and still feel cool.

Life is full of challenges. What separates us from the rest is how we deal with these challenges. You either stand tall and continue climbing, or just stay down...defeated.

My head's telling me to stand tall and continue climbing. But my heart wants to just let it all go and travel around the world.

I've always wanted to travel around the world. I wish I could make a living out of it. NOT by being a tour guide, but free to go wherever and whenever I want.

*sigh*

Oh well, back to studying.
I really love Amazing Grace and Ave Maria btw. Its so soothing and calming =)

16.6.2009

1 Response to "Influenza?"

  1. Dianne Lee Says:

    Remember how we used to sleep over at your house at Seri Petaling, and we would be freezing cold in the morning? I remember we switch off the air-con half-way through as well. I bet that would never happen anymore.